Monday, May 9, 2011

Jed's birth to homecoming


Happy Birthday Jed! You would be 23 today. Ah, I can't believe it.
We miss you so much, but I know we won't be apart forever : )
This post is in honor of your Day.

______________________________________________________________


  When I was 3 years old my parents found out I was going to have a baby brother or sister. 
I knew it was going to be my brother and his name would be Jed. I remember saying that, and I have a recording of myself saying so. I was very excited. My parents, of course, were too.



    His due date was 8-8-88. August 8th, 1988. I would be 3 1/2 by the time he got here. Old enough to be a part of it and old enough remember when he came. Little did we know that he would come over three months before his due date.

 *



    Mom went in to full blown labor on May 9th at 27 weeks and they had to do an emergency C-section. He was born healthy, but too, too soon. The technologies of the day just weren't able to help him in the way they can help preemies now. We know of 24- and 25-weekers who are doing amazingly well.

*

    His lungs were underdeveloped, not ready to breathe air yet. His skin was transparent, not ready to be exposed to light, air, or touch. He was 2 pounds 8 ounces. But, God had seen to it that he was fearfully and wonderfully made. Even though he got off to such a rough start, his amazing little body was able to live, and begin to function.

*


This is such a classic picture. My mom checking out the chart to see what his stats are like, how his day has gone, if he has gained weight, and me being Sunny.

To me this was normal. I didn't know that most babies were brought home from the hospital the next day. It was just another visit to see my brother, washing my hands with those sponges with the brush on one side, and putting on hospital gowns. Seeing the tubes, hearing the sounds, not realizing the battle my baby brother was fighting.

Precious sisters! Always there for each other.


Off the ventilator after several months.


What a goofy grin...anyways, this cake was made by my Mom's mom, Guh,  to celebrate Jed's homecoming.

Welcome home Jed!

* The earliest pictures of Jed were made on Polaroids which I knew would not turn out well. So unfortunately, these will have to suffice. He did not look so good as that when he was newborn.

1 comment:

  1. Jed continues to be a source of encouragement, and an example of tenacity. Even thought we only knew him for a short time, we learned to love him, and even more so as we have grown with his family over the years. Happy Birthday, Jed!

    ReplyDelete